water tower

De Leon was established on April 16, 1881 and named as such because of its close location to the Leon River. The first building in the new town was a general store built by E. N. Waldrup. Other businesses quickly followed, including a grocery store, saloon, restaurant, meat market, blacksmith shop, steam powered grist mill and a cotton gin. Cotton was originally the most important crop in the area, but by 1915, peanuts and oil led the economy. DeLeon has been known for its popular Peach & Melon Festival since 1914. DeLeon offers all of its 2,400 residents a peaceful, safe quality of life and is known as “The Busiest Town, Friendliest People.”

wall of recall

For questions or comments, e-mail to

Pictures are courtesy DeLeon Free Press